Nov 4, 2008

Do you always remember to say thanks?

I would like to say thanks to the judges at my polling place. Often times they get the wrath and rudeness of unappreciative voters. Having served as a judge before at a general election time I can say that it is really a sacrifice for some people to do that task. They are required to be there one hour before the polls open and remain there until the votes are verified. For most of voting judges that entails standing for the entire day except for half of an hour lunch break and maybe a bathroom break.

I entered the line at my polling place at 3:25 and was out of the voting booth by 4:00. I guess most people did not take any chances and did it this morning at which time I heard the lines were down the streets. So gain thanks for a job well done to those election judges.

Do you always remember to say thanks? No really, do you? I attended many events where gifts and sometimes food were contributed and I did not receive a note of thanks. Am I expecting too much or is that the new norm? Because I usually talk about people who are like that I feel obligated to highlight a thank you know we received recently.

Because of an incident I mentioned recently involving some children I had vow not to attend any more children functions, especially since I have none of my own. However, when the parents of one of our godchildren invited us to their birthday celebration we could not resist. Another time I will tell you why I felt obligated to be there. We showed almost at the end of the party with our gifts, no pans or boxes in tow, ate and left.

Then we received this little card with the words “thank you” outside and a personalized note inside. I felt warm and fuzzy; “God daddy… Auntie Del, thank you so very much for coming to our ‘Funners’ Spiderman/Princess B-day party. Thank you for the wonderful gifts also. Auntie Del my mom has put away my learning laptop. I hope to play with it soon. How far away is Christmas, Auntie? I do enjoy playing with my brother’s speed racer hot wheels though.
Thanks again for celebrating with us. You truly made our special day extra special. We love you very much.” Thanks Ms. J.

Call me corny but that really made my day. You do not know what it may take to make someone’s day, so why not go ahead and be courteous and thankful always. So while you await the results and even after remember to smile and even to the naysayers, go ahead and say thanks. Until next time take care and stay well, Del.

No comments: