Aug 4, 2008

Metro Cutomer Service


On Friday I rode the trains with my pregnant friend; so I’m sharing our experience in customer service.

We arrived at the Medical Center Metro about 4:20 PM and she asked the manager to use the customer restroom. He said that the cleaner just went to the back and sure when she’s finish he’ll let her do so. Fifteen minutes into the wait the station manager went to check and came back out she asked him how much longer and he said he was not sure, but he told the cleaner that there was a woman waiting and when she's finish to let her know. Well that wait drag on to some thirty minutes at which time manager number two arrived on the scene and enter the area, when he came out my friend asked him if th restroom was ready he said no it had to dry. By that time her patience and emotions had worn thin and she blurted out to him with tears streaming down her face, "how much longer do I have to wait, I'm pregnant and have been here for more than thirty minutes." He said to her okay Ms. let me see," and went back to the area, he came back almost immediately and said to her go ahead and be sure to close the door behind her. When we got to the restroom area the floor was wet, but there was no one in sight, meaning the cleaner.

Upon leaving the restroom area both manger signaled for her to come to the booth. When we got there manager two said "Ms. I'm going to give you a free ride today." Her with her modest self said no it's ok, he insisted and proceed to write her a free pass for the day. He said "something like this should never happen, you should never have to wait 30minutes to use a restroom. That is unacceptable and the lady is just a custodian. But this will never happen again, I am not on duty yet, but even the other manager agrees that you have been here that long and it's unacceptable." That's why I Del, tell people all the time do not make it an issue about whether you like a job or not but one of character. Be and do the best you can despite the circumstances and even though people may not like you they will not be able to deny the quality of your work.

So kudos to the station manager at Medical Center Metro on Friday, August 1. To the custodian shame on you, you are the perfect example of how poor customer service has become. To my friend, thank for allowing me to be there for you and seeing your vulnerability, and that to me is the way friendship should be. Stay well, Del.

No comments: