Sep 21, 2008

What came out of the Chrysalis Kitchen?

Greetings,

How was your weekend? Mine was wonderful as usual. I say as usual because I look forward to the weekend with great excitement because I get to spend lots of time with my loves. DH and food! So with all that love I made 'green seasoning'. Yep, I made my own green seasoning instead of waiting for my dear brother to send me some from Guyana. With inspiration from Cynthia, the Chrysalis Green Seasoning was made.

With all that creative juice flowing, I even made labels for the bottle I stored it in. And that felt especially good as my friend at I'm Definitely Up to Something mentioned in her post recently. I could not agree with her more and say that it really feels good when you are doing your part to preserve the environment. This by the way, if you are from the Caribbean you should know a lot about. I remember every container that was purchase had the potential of being used for something else so that is ingrained in me. So to act on the slogan “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”, I reused a store bought spice bottle and outfitted with a label to make it my own green seasoning bottle. See photos below .

Ingredients

Spring Onions - 6 bundles

Garlic – 3 heads separated and nuked for 10 seconds in the microwave for easy peeling.

Mint leaves – 1 supermarket clamshell about 4 ounces

Oregano leaves – 1 supermarket clamshell about 6 ounces

Cilantro – 1 bundle

Flat leaf parsley – 1 bundle

Scotch Bonnet pepper – 5 or to your taste (from my garden)

Yellow or Spanish onion – quartered

White vinegar – ¼ cup

Kosher salt – ¾ tsp (optional)

Directions:

  • Trim, clean and was the onions, cilantro, and parsley; and pepper while wearing gloves
  • Slide garlic cloves from their peel
  • Wash and strip oregano and mint leaves
  • Combine all the herbs together in a large bowl
  • Pour enough vinegar to cover blender or food processor blade
  • Add a portion of the combine herbs and blend to desired texture
  • To remove excess water/vinegar pour green seasoning into colander over medium bowl
  • Combine green seasoning with salt; full storage container and enjoy.
The Chrysalis fresh green seasoning (more)

Stay tuned for homemade pesto from the basil abundance in the garden. Take care and stay well, Del

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Del, I love you!

Your constant support is inspiring. Thank you my friend.