Sep 15, 2008

Everywhere else on Monday


How was your weekend? Mine was fabulous because I spent time with the family basking in love and celebration. My DH and I went to the wedding ceremony and celebration of his first niece which was very intimate and beautiful. And if I cared about nothing else, the food mattered to me. Despite being a hotel catered event, I was impressed with the menu which included some jerk, rice and peas. Even though neither of them represent the country we're from, I was still please.
However, the disappoint we shared was about the cake or the lack there of. How could you have a Caribbean wedding and not have black cake? Please tell me if I was expecting too much. But of course you cannot please everyone, so to the bride and groom congratulations. Here are best wishes for a wonderful life together.
From my heart and experience I wish you as much happiness and joy in being married as I have found in mine. There is no secret to what will work magically; however, I do know that once there is respect, communication, sex and trust you can make it work. What do you think? What works for you in your relationship? While on celebrations, congratulations to my friend Selwyn and his wife who recently found out that she's pregnant. Way to go my friend!

While on relationships let me touch on this issue that has been on my mind for the last few weeks. Usually when I attend family functions are I am the person that takes the most photos. I am also usually the one to take the most natural photo that really catches people in their elements. Do you remember the family function I spoke about recently? Well I took some photos as usual and got myself into some good trouble.

I got in trouble because I took the photo of two five years old kids that their parents consider inappropriate. But then again, I did not clarify whether taking the photo or the pose the children had was inappropriate. You see, I went to them and said let’s pose for picture and pose they did. Without full description I will say that the pose were for grown and intimate people. I immediately showed the images to the parents who comment that they know better than to take photos like that since they are relatives.

For me that was finish and as usual I sent out the photos to group a few days later. About a week later I received an email from the girl’s mother with the following: I finally took a look at the Pictures. I glanced at the pictures of girl and boy that said night and didn't see all of that. Because, I was not looking hard enough. Now, I know you know me by now and I would think that you know boy’s mother too, especially when it comes to our kids. I don't think that those pictures are appropriate. The next time you see such behavior, I think you should stop them and let us know. Now, I can only imagine. I'm speaking for myself. I don't know if boy’s mother has seen the pics since. Now that's up to her. But knowing her I don't think this will fly. Let’s be adults about this, so this will not happen next time.”

With my mature self I did not respond to that email. Reason being is I am of the opinion that me taking those photo was like someone holding a mirror in front of the parents and saying look how much your children know. In addition I feel that even though we are relatives, unless you and I have that can of relationship I will not discipline your child. Please let me know if I am wrong for thinking like that, and what are your feelings about other people disciplining your child. More so, how do you feel about people who do not have children of their own disciplining yours?

Until we pick up this gaff again, take care and stay well. Del

No comments: