Oct 19, 2008

How well do they know you or you them?


How well do you know the people who work next to you in your office? Better yet how well do they know you? Last week an incident happened at my office and I had to call 911. Besides the basic questions about my location I could not answer any of the personal question about the sick person.
The questions included:
How old is the person - I don't know.
Has this ever happened to her before - I don't know.
Is she taking any medication - I don't know.

I am sure you get the picture. Then I proceed to ask myself the question God forbade, if something were to happen to me in the office how much do my coworkers know about me? Where do you draw the line in terms of the information you share with people. Not being funny, but do you always have your cell phone with you? How can people locate your next of kin in that event? That lady did not have her cell phone.

For me it raises a few questions in my mind and brought to mind the images of 911 when family and friends only knew that their friends worked in the building but not what suite or other details. Please be sure that your supervisor and someone else at your job has your up to date contact information. In the case of the lady at work none of the numbers on her rolodex were current or the supervisor with some information was not in the building. While this may be the extreme, please do not take it for granted. Update your contact and medical information at home and at work. Failing to prepare is to prepare to fail. Until next time, take care and stay well. Del

No comments: