Sep 2, 2008

To Nawlins


Greetings,

I trust that you took may advise and had yourself an awesome weekend giving and receiving great love.

As for me I had a wonderful time which included satisfying all things food addiction. The highlight of my trip was the curried roasted chicken. For the rest of the family it probably the award winning carrot cake I made and treated them to. It might have been the tasty organic Malabar spinach with fried banga fish. It all started with me getting my visual fill of home by visiting Taste Like Home for my weekly dose. And boy was I drooling, did you see that curry Cynthia prepared, that’s all I say to that.

Shortly after that my sister and I made a trip to Little Guyana. What my eyes beheld at the fish market made me giddy with excitement. It was pre-roasted chicken ($2.49 per lb) like Cynthia used to make her curry. Since we did not know where to find a live bird that fitted the bill. Visiting the market there felt almost like home with all the sight, smells and sounds. To top it off, we girls had the special treat from our brother (since they guys cook tastier than women) who cooked the roasted chicken into a very tasty bunjol curry. Thanks Wayne.

And with the wisdom of my DH we made it home yesterday with sunlight to spare. We left while all the festivities were on the Eastern Parkway and made through the Holland Tunnel in a record 3minutes whoo. How was your trip home?

In other things congratulations to my friend on his column. I cannot wait for my next trip for some curried duck done the same way on my next trip.

Here is a bit for my New Orleans post; as the friends that I made there remain in my prayer. Please remember then in yours as they go through their dejavu. They say they'll never forget, but we will always remember. As the country focused on NOLA and Gustav this weekend I reflected with familiarity as they mentioned and panned to different sites and streets. My DH and I had the privilege of visiting NOLA a few weeks ago and stayed in the French Quarter. I attended the BIG National Training Conference.

Even though we did not visit the Ninth Ward I can say that the evidence of Katrina was still very visible. Please check out these photos taken by my supervisor during that time. The one thing that really bothered was the fact that they still have the tomb (NOLA superdome) standing. Most people there besides the visitors looked very tired and worn, despite race and color. There were no supermarkets close to where we stayed on Poydras St, but that was ok since you can take a trolley or taxi to the other district for proper grocery. This definitely will let you know when you are out of the safe area, proceed at your own risk beyond the police cars. Please help me understand how the people manage with a 9% consumer tax!

To my disappointment I did not venture out to any of the fine dining. Therefore I cannot honestly report on the food. However, I did hear great praises from the other people in our group. I was honestly too scared to try due to my allergies to shellfish and pork and since most of their foods contain either or both I refused to try. I am sure that those of you with food allergies can relate. Everytime I think about it I remember this story. Considering all things I give the trip a C, my hotel an A and the venue a B. So here is to Nawlins for better days and a speedy recovery.

Until next time, take care and stay well, Del.

No comments: